Thursday, October 7, 2010

College savings accounts and expectations


When Casey was about 6 months old I opened a college account for her. After she died I had to transfer what was left out of that account. It was incredibly hard to do so. That was about a year ago. Yesterday I was asked for more information from the accountant for a tax filing. I opened up the folder and started to look at the statements and the list of contributions made almost every year from when she was a baby until she entered college. I fell apart and could not do it. It was as sad and empty and grief-stricken as I have felt in a while. The process focused me on her entire life span- a baby, toddler, entering elementary school, middle school, teen years and what I had expected would happen with college graduation and starting a career and family and all of that now will never take place. What I expected , Casey expected and what will never be . The cruelness and unfairness of it was magnified somehow and really hit me.

2 comments:

  1. I fully empathize with you. This deep sadness hit me when I realized I would never have the priviledge of seeing my niece fall deeply in-love, walk down the isle and hold her child in her arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending hugs and love and support... with my own tears wet on my face.

    ReplyDelete