Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Is the loss of a child the worse loss imaginable?








Some have said that the worst loss possible is the loss of a child. I would not disagree but I can't and won't make that conclusion. I do know that when I go to comfort those who have lost parents or spouses invariably the family will say "but this is nothing compared to what you have been through." This has become a frequent occurrence for me. I almost feel like my presence carries with it the cloak of horrific tragedy and that, to some extent, others gain perspective on their losses by comparing them to my loss. I think it actually helps them deal with loss better.

It does not cause me to suffer more or make me realize the depth of my loss. I have thought about that every day for the last sixteen months. I attended a Compassionate Friends meeting and a mother who lost two of her children and a grandchild spoke. I did not feel better that my loss was "less" than hers.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I have compared my loss to others' losses as well, but you are right - it doesn't make me feel better about my own. How can we really know the depth of anyone's loss? I enjoy reading your blogs Joel. You write so candidly. - Meaghan

    ReplyDelete